Brazil-based photographer Marina Nacamuli who has been shooting on film mostly and had her work featuring on Shooting Film 2 months ago now coming back with us to share more of her work in another project called 5 things I love about Film.
“I'm always a huge fan of film. In fact, when I began photographing on film in 2006, my idea was to buy all sorts of different films and experiment with them. Understand all the different brands and styles we had. At that time, film was cheap, so I bought hundreds of film (I still have a few from that collection). I have much more than 5, I could give you 10 or 15 reasons why I shoot film. But here are my main things.”
1. It's an experiment. I think it is beautiful the fact that you have to choose everything before hand, instead of manipulating it when you are done. You have to know what you are aiming for, and even if you don't, it's ok! Film will never disappoint you! Sometimes you will have light leaks, sometime too much grain or contrast, it's just magical, until you really learn every kind of film.
2. More intimacy. You have to click less, you don't go crazy like you do with digital. Therefore, you take more time in every moment, and you can't see the result right away.
3. The Look. This is definitely one of my main reasons. There is no digital camera that will ever look like film, or even treatment. Film is film. It's all about the mood, the colours, and the grain.
4. No manipulation. When I develop my photos, I hardly manipulate it. Sometimes I will align it, but I will never change its colours or contrast. I don't like to change the film's characteristics.
5. The surprise. Sometimes you will take a few months to develop a film. Maybe it's because of money issues, or you misplaced the film, or you just didn't go pick it up at the lab. It doesn't matter. When you do, it's just magical. It's a new experience, all again. You remember what you thought it would look like, and hopefully, it looks better than that!
See more of her work at: