Shufi Handhayani is a 25-year-old Indonesian photographer who is working in a Digital Advertising Agency in Jakarta. She started shooting film around 4 years ago, “when I was still in college. Since then it has become my personal hobby.”
Shufi has some cameras, but often uses a Pentax Espio Mini, a Holga 135BC and an Olympus Trip 35. “I'm used to bring at least one camera in my bag, and of course, during my traveling.” She has a lot of reasons why she loves shooting film but here are 5 main reasons that she would like to share with us.
1. The variety of cameras and films is countless. I always found something new to discover.
2. The excitement comes when I’m waiting for the result (sometimes I forgot what I had taken). The result is often a surprise, whether it is good or bad.
3. Light leak, grain, dust, blur, unconscious multiple exposure, over or under exposure, and other imperfection which sometimes make the result uniquely.
4. Simple happiness comes from the new film I purchased, the moment when I load and unload the films, and the sound of the camera's shutter.
5. I learn to be more patient. Shooting film will teach us to be more appreciative because each shot is valuable. Just like life, we just can’t delete or go back.
See more of her work at her photostream on Flickr.