Peter Sorrell is a 35-year old college teacher from New Jersey. He has been shooting 35mm film since September 2012. "I don't have a grand philosophical claim about why I love it so much," he says. "It's just great, great fun and deeply satisfying." Below are five main reasons why he loves shooting film.
1. Portraits. I think that one of the areas where film really excels is in portraits. I love editing my digital shots, but I can never get the variety and combination of looks that I get from different film cameras and different types of film.
2. Snow. I really dig the way snow looks on film.
3. "Street photography." In quotes because I work on a college campus, so it's not really the street per se. Something I'm just getting into and trying hard to get better at.
4. Types of film! This kind of goes with #1, but I love exploring new types of film--and expired film--I used to keep a notebook and a Google Drive document with notes on each, but now I just keep that in my head.
5. Black and white. Hard to mimic how good this looks on film with digital.