Lucia Marques is an Art History student from Brazil. She discovered that only analog photography works for her. "In photographing with film, I feel I can create something in a way I feel true to myself and to others," she says. Here are 5 things Lucia loves about film:
1. The waiting. When you photograph with film you never know how exactly things are going to be. The waiting gives you a thrill, an excitement, it fills you with curiosity, almost like the butterflies in your stomach when you feel something magical is going to happen.
2. The color. The colors always surprise you, even if you know more or less how the results are going to be like by buying an especific type of film. The colors in film are softer, almost velvet-like. No wonder there are lots of “analog simulators” to digital cameras, look how many apps in cellphones try to emulate film colors...
3. The mistakes. The little mistakes that sometimes may occur make every photo unique, they are not a bad thing, something you want to erase out of the image, they transform the picture into something special.
4. The naturality. You abdicates that perfectionism that is demanded to you by digital cameras and graphics editing programs, you don't need click and click and click, over and over, spend hours after that choosing a better picture of that same subject and stay in front a computer trying to create the perfect image.
5. The freedom. Not having to choose one of lots of pictures you took to edit it for hours is great, that moment you captured is genuine, more sincere. Photographing is not something mechanical, in analog is not the camera that makes you a good photographer, it only depends on you.