Saint-Petersburg, Russia based film photographer Natalia Romanova takes pictures mostly with a Zenit-E and a Canon EOS 300. We featured her beautiful work on film once and here, 5 main reasons why she loves shooting film:
1. Generally, there is no need to process film photos. I really love to shoot, but in fact I hate sitting at the computer for long hours trying to make something look better than it is.
2. Shooting film gives you a sort of discipline in a good way. You think about every photo, choose the best position, spend a lot of time focusing, but you end up with a perfect shot and don't need to choose between hundreds of digital photos, which in fact are all the same. And for me personally the process of looking through tons of identical shots is very annoying. It is different with the film, and that is one more reason why I love shooting film.
3. I think, the most popular response to this question is the special atmosphere, which distinguishes film from digital. Film photos are more natural, you really believe in them. For me digital photos with perfect quality look too artificial.
4. My film cameras are my friends, and if I buy a new digital camera, it would be a kind of betrayal. And I'm not kidding! Why I need to spend a lot of money on a new digital camera, if I have a really great film one?
5. Today there are a lot of photographers, it’s a big global tendency. Sometimes even people, who shoot only on iPhone and post photos on instagram, call themselves "photographers" (and sometimes their photos are really great). But shooting film makes me feel special. Film photographers are like a big family, and I always want to be a part of it.