American freelance photographer BriAnne Wills currently lives in Kiev, Ukraine. She has also lived in Shanghai and Prague. Her work has been featured in many magazines, also Shooting Film. And today, she'll tell us five reasons why she's still shooting film:
1. You have to think more about the photos you take. Each shot is precious and you want to make sure it's not wasted, which forces you to become a better photographer.
2. The element of surprise. You don't know what your results are until you get the film back. It's exciting and sometimes scary, but the anticipation is something you don't get with digital.
3. Film has more feeling. I can't really pinpoint it or describe it. I just know it evokes something in me that is almost impossible to recreate with digital.
4. Little to no editing. Film photos are perfect just as they are, imperfections and all. I can spend so much time editing a digital photograph and never feel like it's finished.
5. Details or lack there of. I like that with film it doesn't focus on every little pore on your face. Sometimes I think with digital it's too detailed. I don't ever want to know THAT much about my subject.