Born in New Jersey in 1978, Michael Massaia is a fine art photographer and printmaker whose work focuses on New York City, and New Jersey life and landscape. Massaia specializes in large format black & white photography and large format Platinum/Palladium printing.
One of his photo serieses 'Afterlife' was featured here. And now, below are five reasons why he still shoots film:
1. It has many technical advantages over digital image capture (large format sheet film that is developed properly that is).
2. Black and White films ability to capture information in highlights is still much superior to even the most sophisticated digital camera/back. This is very important for what I do.
3. The thought of going out and taking more the 4 pictures at a time makes me want to vomit.
4. The craft/personal aspect of developing film makes the final product more authentically yours/less generic.
5. It's difficult, time consuming, upsetting, which to me usually means it's the correct thing to be doing.