Paris based analog photographer Margot Gabel began film photography seven years ago, and hasn't stop since. She developed films by herself in the lab and never retouched them. It's hard to explain why Margot loves film but here are five main reasons why
1. Film photography is a tangible thing. You manipulate film, you choose your film, you develop it, you take care of it. You can't fall in love with a memory SD card! Develop by yourself is an indescribable feeling.
2. Waiting for the result, the best moment after shooting film! It's like Christmas every month, when I'm waiting for some new color rolls which I don't even remember what there are on them, (I often get some crazy accidental multi exposures)!
3. I'm ALWAYS surprised of results, mistakes are always beautiful. Even if I use some very expired and cheap films, outcome will be even more surprising than a clean and new film. Dust, stripes, unreal and faded colors, each defect is unique and beautiful.
4. With film, you don't need to be a millionaire. Just hang out in your attic or do some brocantes. You will find some cheap cameras which works perfectly, some out of date films, crazy prismatic filters, beautiful lense with mushrooms in them. but who cares ? For me, film photography is for experimentations !
5. Shooting film is visceral. Lights are different on film. You can get infatuated with grain, cherish your rolls who are waiting in the fridge... Finally, it's hard to explain clearly and simply why I love film.
More of Margot Gabel's work can be found on her Flickr photostream, Facebook and Tumblr pages.