Moldovan photographer Levinta Eugeniu, aka me in film life on Flickr, started shooting film since April 2011 when he sold all his digital equipments after 11 weeks of using and decided to move forward to big and bulky manual cameras loaded with film.
"I started shooting fiilm when I saw a picture was shoot with Nikon FG and Kodak Gold film. In that day I could not take my eyes from that picture. And there were nothing special in that picture, not a fantastic place, not a fantastic composition or concept, just a snap shoot of a landscape somewhere in Europe, just a simple land with some warm sun light, dark blue sky and a lot of birds in it . But that strange feeling wouldn't let me stop being amazed about this simple film picture. And then I started checking what does film photography mean and why I was so captured by.
Days after searching I decide to go back to old and slow machines. I sold all my digital equipments and bought my first film camera, Nikon EM with Nikkor 50mm 1.8. Right after I run into first photo shop and got some Kodak Gold films, believe me or not, that was the only film availably in my country. I am calling it "cheap gold". And here my life starts, me in film life."And here are five reasons why Levi loves shooting film
1. The main reason I love shooting film is because of film. Film brings that atmosphere in the picture, that unforgiven moment, that stop the time when film 'sees' the light and memorize it forever.
2. Multiple exposure. Just love this ability of shooting many pictures on the same frame. Mostly enjoy double exposure. Being a person who doesn't like to use Photoshop or any else software for processing your images. I do like to do some creative directly on film and glad I can do that without Photoshop.
3. Physical fellings, developing and hanging film to dry in my bathroom. Yes, there is no way to see your picture after you pushed the shutter button. You have to develop it first and then you can see the negative form of it. And don't have a screen display like digital, it's gonna be my next reason why I love film.
Now let's talk about developing and drying. There is not so much to talk about drying process, but I love to have some film hanging on the curtain holder. Feels like a small laboratory in my bathroom. And all the time I am walking by, I can't stop looking at my film. Developing, one of my favorite part. When you feel closer and closer to see you pictures. Time when you can't wait , but time goes so slow, minute by minute when you are developing film, changing the chemicals, washing with water and then being happy that there are some pictures on it and not massed up all.
4. One shoot, one "kill". Kill means perfect shoot. With digital camera, you can repeat it as many times as you can. Of course you can waste as many rolls of film you want, but hey, remember that wasting film is lame, and somewhere, a unicorn dies for your mistake! This why you have to do your best to get the perfect shoot.
5. And the last, you can see on my pictures the reason i love film. Create, live, love and be happy because film can do that.
For more of Levinta's work, visit his website, Flickr photostream and Facebook page.